What you eat can affect more than your waistline. It can also influence your mood and behavior, experts say. The American Academy of Family Physicians says these nutrients could help boost your mood:
- Omega-3 fatty acids, found in salmon, flaxseed, flaxseed oil and walnuts.
- Tryptophan, found in turkey, soy, red meat and dairy.
- Magnesium, found in avocados, nuts and green, leafy vegetables.
- Folic acid, found in fruits and green, leafy vegetables.
- Vitamin B-12, found in dairy foods, meat, shellfish and fish.
The academy stresses, however, that changes in your diet aren’t a sufficient substitute for professional medical treatment in cases of depression and other forms of serious mental illness.